Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Watchdog timer expired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADB100

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
I have a Poweredge 6650 running Windows 2003 Server R2. I have installed OpenManage Server Administrator 5.3.0. The server seems to be operating fine, however I am getting thousands of events logged in the ESM and Windows Events. In the ESM Hardware Log I am getting
Code:
OS Watchdog Timer expired
and these are appearing constantly. In the ESM Alert log I am getting 1006 events with the message
Code:
Automatic System Recovery (ASR) action was performed Action performed was: Unknown Date and time of action: Sun Mar 16 16:28:11 2008
In Windows System Events I am getting the 1006 error logged
Code:
Automatic System Recovery (ASR) action was performed
Action performed was: Unknown
Date and time of action: Sun Mar 16 16:31:29 2008

I had a quick search on Dell's website but it didn't really explain what the issue is and how (if possible?) to fix it.

Any ideas?

Andy

BMC OS Watchdog timer expired.

Information

This event is generated when the BMC watchdog timer expires and no action is set.

Link...

Now Andy, I hold you in the highest regards concerning Cisco stuff and server environments, but...didn't you know that Dell sucks?lol

How many Sun and HP/Compaq servers do you deal with? By HP, I also mean Alphas and even DEC/VAX's, and anything with HP-UX...just curious. The Dell thing is a joke---I just prefer Compaq for Intel/x86 based systems...

Burt

LOL, I sort of get your meaning regarding Dell over HP/Compaq.... However I rebooted it and it stopped. It's the first issue I have had (over the initial working out of the equivilent to HP's SmartStart...). I still have some HP/Compaq Servers but these are older P3 systems - my main Domain Controller is a ML370 with dual P3 933 CPU's, 4GB or RAM and a load of disk space and I don't see this changing in the near future.
I needed a beefy server with enough processing power & RAM (and price...) for VMWare and the Dell was a good buy....

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back