Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Watch What You Write/Do Online - Could Cost You Your Job... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this on Slashdot this morning. My immediate question was, what if you don't have a Facebook (or other similar media) account? Clearly, stating this fact would be insinuated as refusal to provide such a password.

I would also find such a requirement objectionable on the basis that many use the same password for multiple sites, unwise though it is. Consequently, the security ramifications potentially go beyond Facebook and into areas like bank and brokerage accounts, email, medical information, etc.

I agree... If I was posed with such a demand in order to keep or attain a job... I would consider dumping my Facebook Account, if I needed/wanted the job bad enough. I will admit that I use the same/simlar passwords throughout most (not all) of my 60+ logins (work/personal) that I have in a password protected Excel file.

Steve Medvid
IT Consultant & Web Master

Let's not beat about the bush: this isn't just snooping. The only reason to ask someone for their password to a site is so you can log on as them. Logging on to a computer system (even just a facebook account) as someone else is impersonating them. In many countries, this is fraud, and an offence.

Surely giving your password for a site to somebody else is a deliberate violation of Facebook (or any other site)'s own terms & conditions anyway, so they possibly have cause to shut down the account.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back