Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Watch the size or the date of a file

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvielliard

Programmer
Nov 6, 2001
FR
Hi all,

I want to set up an agent to check if a file is growing or not.

My idea was to use TNG (which I don't know yet) to check every 2 minutes a file and to send a warning if the size of my file didn't increase during this period.

I want to know if TNG has a function to check either the size of a file or the date of the last modification, and if it the case, which one is it.

I am working on a W2k server.

Thank you for your help.

Gilles

Hi,
you can check either of these things with the W2K system agent.
You can check for Total file size - works the same as a file system threshold. EG you set the critical size threshold and when it reaches a percentage of this it will alert.
Probably more useful to you is the delta threshold which lets you check the percentage size change within a polling interval. You can check for the delta growth or shrinkage or both.
You can also set the agent to check the time stamp on the file and if it changes, raise wither a critical or warning alert.
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back