Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Was: Win2000 freezes on reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorcilantro

Technical User
Sep 11, 2002
US
I tried this and believe it works!!!! I was messing around with the service packs today but so far so good. I never emailed the original poster but the one thing we had in common was Norton Corporate. Maybe this is how the following got installed...?

"Fix for shutdown problems (worked for me)

By: Steve Spurlock

I checked my non-Plug and Play drivers section in Device Manager (you must choose View->Show Hidden Devices to see them) and found something named TPkd. I uninstalled it and now I have NO problems with Win2K at all. My shutdowns and restarts work right and all of my hardware works correctly.

Hopefully this will help someone else.

Additional info: The problem I was having started as a shutdown/restart problem where my system went through the saving settings and windows is shutting down messages and would just get a clean blue desktop and lock. I could hear the hard drive and fan cut off but the system never would shutdown or restart. Then I started having modem problems and video and sound problems. When I installed the SoundBlaster Live drivers I noticed that my floppy was gone. Upon investigating, I noticed that the floppy was conflicting with TPkd under the non-plug and play drivers section of device manager. I have uninstalled the TPkd with no discernable negative effects. As far as I can tell TPkd was provided by Pace Anti-Piracy but I can't tell which program installed it. Everything I run seems to work correctly after it was uninstalled."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back