Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Was I a bonehead (unable to start SQLServer service)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2002
US
Let me preface this by stating that I am in NO way a DBA/SQL expert, nor do I play one on TV... I do networking, & work with SQL server just enough to hopefully keep it running until the knowledgeable folk show up.

At a VIP's request, I went to apply SP3 in order to address the issues raised by the Slammer worm. (No, our SQL server isn't connected to the 'net, but I do what I'm told...) Like a fool, I just downloaded the patch, ran the exe, & verified that it didn't produce any errors, & went on to the next project on my list. (I'll freely admit that I should have read the directions first, but I'm accustomed to the "Windows Update" style of patching, & it bit me this time. Lesson learned.)

Sometime thereafter, we had to restart the server (can't remember why right now, but it was nothing very alarming), & I started getting calls from users that told me that they couldn't access the SQL-dependent apps. I investigate, discover that the SQL Server service hadn't started, despite being configured to start automatically. When I try to start it, it consistently fails without logging any errors.

I've tried using both Windows authentication & SQL Server authentication, & it doesn't seem to make any difference. As a last resort, I've started the sqlserver.exe program as an application (rather than as a service) which allows the users to get things done, but it seems like a horrible kludge to me.

Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

T.

Did you REBOOT your SQL Server after applying the patch or anytime since?

This is from the SP3 Readme file (sp3.readme.htm) section 3.4.

QUOTE:
3.4 Stop Services and Applications Before Running SP3 Setup

The following information applies to all components.

You can apply SP3 without shutting down services. If you don not shut down services, you are prompted to reboot the computer when Setup is complete. Without rebooting, the following services fail to start:
END QUOTE
<and then it lists the services to include MSSQLServer and SQLServerAgent services>

SO, if you didn't reboot, that's the problem and the solution.

-SQLBill

Good information guys, & much appreciated. I did reboot the server, but I haven't tried the uninstall/re-install routine yet.

Thanks again!

T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back