Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Was hacked & can't delete folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

creynold

MIS
Dec 3, 2001
US
I was officially hacked last night.

I left my FTP server on w/ anon read & write privileges (k... you can say it: IDIOT!) and some friendly created a couple of directories which I can't delete. His signature is 'tagged by psilo' (whatever).

When I try to delete them via Windows Explorer, I get the following message:

cannot read from source file or disk

If I try to delete them via FTP, I get the following message:

550 TMP: The system cannot find the file specified

I did a few searches in Technet and the only thing that I remotely came close to was a description that if a file was encrypted through a share, then there's nothing you can do about it... it was done by design. But there's no indication that there is a file in those directories, even a hidden one.

Please help

TIA

Christian

Have you tried to delete the folders through DOS?

I just found out a way to do it through DOS.

You basically have to use the DIR /X command to list the dirs in 8.3 format. That's the only way you can access these directories. Apparently the guy created a chain of directories with appz for pirating. Very clever.

I'm in the process of deleting all these files and directories. Man... what a mess.

Thanks for the help.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back