Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WAS email client

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixfreak

ISP
Oct 4, 2003
GB

Does anyone know if WAS has a built-in email client? We have an app running here but I need to change it to use a different mail relay but no-one seems to know if this is aa built-in feature or something someone programmed. Where would I find this?

Thanks

Thanks, the developers calls it JavaMail so that must be it. How do I change it to use local sendmail rather than an SMTP server?

Thanks

Err ... do you need a e-mail client or an SMTP server?

Here you can see the info from IBM

Cheers,
Dian

Neither. I need to change JavaMail to use the local mail spooler rather than the SMTP relay

Looks like JavaMail *must* connect via TCP to deliver... Or have I missed something obvious? That's a bit silly though

AFAIK, local spooler will be just like any other smtp server, so yes, it must connect with TCP

Cheers,
Dian

Kinda ruins the reliability we were after doing this change

So a tcp connection to localhost is not reliable? I don't think I'm understanding your requirements

Cheers,
Dian

It's not TCP that isn't reliable, it's relying on a daemon being up. This is the exact reason we want to change it, JavaMail is so poorly written that we lost 60000 emails a couple of weeks ago because an SMTP relay had problems and JavaMail just dumps the mail with no error and has no resiliance whatsoever. It doesn't even try to resend.

Piping the mail to the sendmail binary instead would eliminate the need for something to be "up" and increase reliability.

Humm, I understand. Maybe a sollution could be not using JavaMail and invoke a script (Perl or whatever) that will invoke sendmail with the appropiate parameters

Cheers,
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back