Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Warning: New Malware Threat- "UPS Paket"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
Hello,

I received a forwarded email (already deleted) with the subject "UPS Paket (sic).

The text claims there is a "UPS Packet" that cannot be delivered because the address is wrong, and asks you to make corrections to the invoice. It leads you to a .zip file which contains an executable. The damage from this .exe is not known at this time, as the first recorded report of this malware was yesterday, July 14th.

I had a copy sent to me by my boss, who thought I might have a package due. My reply was "are you nuts???" and my next action was to post about it here. I'm running a full virus scan now but with the newness of the file I'm not expecting much. Keep your eyes open for this sucker!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Snopes concurs!

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Yes, but just yesterday! That's why I'm trying to get the word out while the good guys (A/V vendors) catch up. I have an A/V on my gateway (McAfee) and another on the PC (Symantec) and neither of them caught it. Yes, I clicked on the .exe...for about 1-1/2 seconds, then shut down my machine, updated A/V and ran a scan which came up clean.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back