Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Warning - Multiple default gateways

Status
Not open for further replies.

evr72

MIS
Dec 8, 2009
US
Hello,

I have a windows 2008 r2 configured as a web server with two nicks.

one talks to the local area network. we are connected to our corporate office via sonic wall vpn

the second nic has an external ip address for the web server.

this has been working well for years, all of the sudden I started to get the "Warning - Multiple default gateways" error

the configuration has not changed.

if I dissable the nic with the external ip I can ping the corporate office where the main db lives if I enable the nic with the external connection, then the connection to the vpn goes down

not sure how to solve this one

my local ip

ip 192.1.1.19
gateway 192.1.1.1 this is the sonic wall ip address as well

external is 2xx.xxx.xxx.x7
gateway is 2xx.xxx.xxx.x5

any idea on this one?

thanks!!

Windows can't have multiple default gateways active at the same time.
Remove the default gateway from the Internal NIC, leaving the default gateway on the External NIC. Then add static routes (or static summary routes) to your internal networks via the old default gateway on the Internal NIC.
Code:
route add -p 10.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 192.1.1.1
This is assuming your internal networks are made up of RFC1918 10.0.0.0/8 addresses - which it looks like they aren't however you don't state what they are. The '-p' makes the route permanent so it will survive a reboot of the server (the routes are actually added to the registry).

Andy

Andy,

thank you for your reply, but here is what I get confused

my internal address is 192.1.1.19

I can ping any address like 192.1.1.5 and I do get a reply

If I ping 192.168.5.5 our vpn connection I get noting

if I turn off the external nic and ping 192.168.5.5 I get a reply back

is this coming from the network cards? or a rule in my sonicwall?

update, i gave the internal nic a dynamic ip address and I can ping my vpn, but if i assign the ip id does not like it have no ide why

Its basic routing with multi-homed hosts. Drop to a command prompt and look at the output of 'route print' you will see you have two default gateways but I am guessing the External NIC is top of the list. Pinging directly connected hosts (i.e. 192.1.1.0/24 will work fine, however any 'off net' traffic will go via the External NICs default gateway. Follow my instructions but change the static route to be 192.168.0.0/16
Code:
route add 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 192.1.1.1
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back