Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WAP45G or WRT45G, web base login access

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorney

Technical User
Sep 15, 2003
CA
Hello,

I got ask to put together a wireless access in a Sports building. This is basically to offer wireless data service to all the parents that has to run with their kids to the practice everyday, so that these peoples can continue to work even remotely. It's not a hotspot we want to create and make money out of it, it's only a service.
What would be the best option. I'm seeing 2:
First would be a regular wireless router with WEP encryption giving keys to whoever need it. easy and simple.
second would be an access point, which would bring a web page then you'll need to provide a login and password, but on the web page you'll have the details information on how to get the login and who contact for it.

Is a regular WAP54G has this capability to have a web page for the login or we need the whole setup with database, etc...

I'm new to this and would like to create a really nice setup. I Google it but it's pointing toward too many things.

I really like the option 2, but don't know how to make it. Is it possible to share docs and provide either explaination, web link that I could read...
Anything will be appreciated !!!

Thanks in advance !!
Sylvain

Were you able to get this worked out? about a year ago I worked on somthing like this.

From what you describe using the WAP and to have some type of admin page to provide login features is quite an ambitious project for a novice!

The WAP does not provide that type of service. You would need the services of a server device in conjunction with the WAP or WAPs.

So I would say, you have a lot of research to do. If you know anybody in the field, I would start asking lots of questions and start building a base of knowledge and references.

Good luck!

....JIM....

Thanks for your reply.....

I didn't built it yet.

I realized that a regular Wireless router which can re-direct the traffic toward a Radius server (Security Mode) would probably do the job. I'm still not sure as I'm now looking at the radius server, I have an old computer at home which I'm trying to set it up for this application.
Once I have it in place and working I'll post the information.

Happy New year !!!

Sylvain

There are a few linux packages available to do this. Linux, the database (MySQL) and all the other software is free.

They finally told me to put just a free wireless internet access, but they just want to make sure the traffic from the wireless will not be able to access their network.

Their actual configuration is a Cable Modem with a Linksys 4 ports BEFSR41 the 4 ports are used... What should they purchase to offer the wireless and secure their existing network. I know that i could create 2 separate VLAN, but with the linksys wireless devices I don't know how or if I would be able to set it up... I think just to use the regular WEP encryption to give access...

Any direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back