Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wap Site/Page 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cshack

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
GB
Hello,
Does anyone know of a good tutorial site for us newbies on how to set up a wap site/page.

Many thanks in advance

Whats a wap?? I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

How does one go about desgining a WAP site and then using it??
I mean, lets say (for arguments sakes), I designed a WAP site, then what?? What do I do then?? How do I "use" it?? I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

You need a WAP capable mobile phone to view WML (wap) site

Its easy to set your server up to serve WML you just need to add a couple of mime types (WBMP WML WMLS etc)

As for making WML its easy peasy there are only about 1/8th the amount of tags as HTML

You could even use a PERL/PHP/ASP script to do on-the-fly conversion of HTML into WML Regards

David Byng

spider.gif

davidbyng@hotmail.com

while (Me < Drunk) {
Beer++
}

1. Find a host that supports WML(equivalent HTML) and WSL (equivalent javascript) for eg does, yes even the free account

2. get the sdk for wap from Nokia.com. This will allow you to design and test your sites on your machine

3. Upload your site and you are good to go
Ranjan
- A Dreamweaver Community
Join today for your answers in web design

I have a Panasonic Allure cell, can I create a WAP site for that?? Does the Nokia SDK work on the Allure?? I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

The Nokia is like the IE and your phone and many others(if WAP enabled) are like the other browsers.

So if you have Nokia SDK you know what your site will look like in 90% (not sure about right stats) cells. The rest of the 10 % will see content but like NS a little different (maybe) Ranjan

Hey Gujubhai,

Its now like a guessing game for me to answer any more of your questions on WAP. I had learnt WAP 2 years agao and things would have changed a LOT since then.

I reccomend you visit the WAP forum at tek-tips for further help

forum729 Ranjan

Thanks bluranj-bhai... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

You can't get WAP sites on your Panasonic cell, If it were available there would be a few options that you have to set up, server type, provider etc and then you would be able to surf WAP enabled sites on your cell.

Personally I don't think it's all that great, the page content is too basic and most cells are slow to load the pages etc. I usually find it easier to just wait until I can access a PC or use a PDA.

Naiku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back