Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WANT TO LEARN UNIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

AsharJafri

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2003
US
i have been in the IT field for about 2 years now, worked as a NT admin for IBM before contract gave out, i want some help regarding UNIX, i have read some threads giving some insight to what can be achieved, what i wish to know is, where do i start, think of me as some one who knows nuthing, and wants to start, which flavour would be best for me, financialy and interesting, i am a dedicated and hard worker, and can really put next 8 to 9 months into it, i mean heart and soul all into it, so i am up to challenges, i need some help guys and would really appreciate some , where to start what to begin with, my background is MCSE, i dont believe in certs but few have become necessity, i have a 4 year Managment degree too, and i love computers. Looking for guidence into right direction.

AsharJafri from what you have told me I think Linux is your best bet. The reasons are Linux is free for download or you can buy it basic for $50.00. Linux can be install on a 486mhz 32mb 500mb hard drive more or less pentium Pc. Although every flavor of unix/linux is different the basic concept is the same. Because linux is open source the community around it is very willing to give someone a helping hand. Linux has it's own set of cert's. Check out this link for more info
Good luck!

I would suggest, you give up the NT admin and focus on Unix Admin.

You can also check out
And as a side note: Does anybody know of any good (and up to date) computer based training for the LPI certs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back