Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want to join domain but not lose profile???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jogle900

Technical User
Aug 24, 2004
US
I believe if I join the domain that it will create a domain profile and I will lose my local settings.
I heard there was a way to join the domain but not lose my local profile (settings). Is there a way to do this with XP? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

You might try moving everything over from the local user to all users if you are the only one on the machine and it will keep everything just the way it was despite moving to the Domain.

you also have the option of manually copying certain profile elements from one profile to another.

Or if after first logging on with domain user id (which will create your profile), you log off and log back on as local administrator user (must be not your own local acount). Then you can use the copyto feature (system properties, advanced tab, user profiles button), to copy your local profile over the domain one (ie, when browsing for destination, select the profile name folder for you domain logon in Documents and Settings). Should then have identical settings for both (but they won't stay identical of course - each is separate & associated with its own logon).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back