Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want to Flash Nokia N900, due to Vodafone Skype throttling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triacona

Technical User
Jun 11, 2009
GB
Dear All,

I have a Nokia N900(brilliant phone!)

Only problem is that the Vodafone firmware update for it PR 1.3 killed my skype!!

Hmmmmm Vodafone does not want us to use skype???!

I have never flashed my phone before.

The Maemo site provides flashers, and descriptions on how to do it.

I want to flash my phone with the international version of PR 1.3 so that vodafone cannot put their sticky paws into my Skype useability anymore...[hairpull3]

Any advice would be really appreciated!Thank you!![bigsmile]

Thank you,

Kind regards

Triacona

Thank you very, very much![2thumbsup]

Vodafone what next huh?!

Thank you,

Kind regards

Triacona

Dear Strongm,

Have you flashed your N900?
Was it difficult?(I have a reasonable grasp on technology...i.e. I can build a PC, format HDD and install operating system and tweak, a little programming savvy...hardly any linux experience, except with Maemo.)

Any hiccups?

How does your skype run?

I just don't want to brick my phone...

Do you know of how many successful attempts made by others in comparison to failiures?

Will firmware updates enable 4G?

Thanks again for all your help, and your forthcomming reply[bigsmile]

Thank you,

Kind regards

Triacona

>How does your skype run?

I don't use Skype

>I just don't want to brick my phone...

You can't. Not really with the N900 (unless you brick it AND have your battery fully discharged at the same time). Because you can always flash it back to the default Linux setup

>Do you know of how many successful attempts made by others in comparison to failiures?

It's pretty much up in the high 90s as a percentage - and the failures have generally been because people did not read the instructions, had a dead battery, or had a coincidental hardware failure

>Will firmware updates enable 4G?

No

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back