Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want to create an image server w/ W2K Server. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowledgeisnetworkin

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2004
US
I want to be able to create a w2k server, and store images of XP, and 2K pro. The idea is to run RIS and have users pull the image from the server. Is there an alternative so that users can pull down XP images too?

What do you guys (or gals) use for your image servers, and how do you have it set up? I have been researching w/ my study tools but if anyone has any good advice I'd be happy to take it.

Thanks

The following has a lot of good resources:

I'm using sysprep'ed images instead of RIS. That's something I want to look at down the road when the company is bigger. After Symantec purchased PowerQuest, it seems like Ghost is predominantly the choice for imaging software.

I use sysprep'ed ghost images as well. I am looking towards writing an unattended install script though in the near future.

Still using powerquest 5.5 here. I'm going to have to migrate to something else soon though since Ghost seems to be taking over. Their licensing I don't really like.

One solution that looks a bit more attractive is Acronis.

FRCP

WHat type of hardware is it. If you have IBM machines, IDM Director with Remote Deployment Manager is a great option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back