Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want to create a network...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureL

Technical User
Jan 15, 2005
GB
Hi,

I want to create a network between two computers, that are both running Windows XP Professional, the problem is the computer I want to connect to is approximently 3 miles away from my house! I want to create a network so we can share printers and files, have mapped network drives, and be able to have logon scripts. I want my computer to be the domain server. I have thought about VPN connections but for soem reason I cannot conect to the computer, we both have the same type of internet conection and by the same company (except mine is slightly faster), the connection is broadband.

So does anyone have any ideas?

You say you can't vpn, why is this?
Also, if it is Xp then it can't be a domain server.
For that distance, VPN or maybe something like laplink is the only option.

If i'm understanding correct, you want to be able to connect the two pc's via internet?

Problem will be ISP in this case. You get blocked at the ISP

Try doing a tracert and you'll propably find a firewall

Not sure how internet connections works, but on local networks, they have to open a port on firewall.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back