Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

want to connect to office cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0ldeneye

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
US
Anyone know the easiest and cheapest way to connect to my office computer which is on a vpn and has a private ip of 192.168.4.101?

sorry mhkwood, I forgot to mention I was trying to connect from home.

tightvnc only works WITHIN the LAN ?????

What gave you that idea? Does that come from actual experinece? If so, you have some configuration issues that can probably be found and fixed without too much trouble. Post back the problems you were/are having and we'll see what we can do.

I forgot to mention I was trying to connect from home

Didn't really need to mention it. The VPN suggests that you are connecting from somewhere outside the LAN.

My computer at work is running the tightvnc server, and has an IP of 192.168.4.101. My computer at home has a public IP address obviously, so when I open the tightvnc viewer, what IP address do I type in, or what IP address format do I use? 192.168.4.101 won't work because its a private address. If you say it works, I'm obviously missing something.

If your VPN and routing is configured properly, you should be able to connect directly to the 192.168.4.101.

Getting the routing going shouldn't be too much of a problem. Actual configuration depends upon the type of VPN involved -- what are you using for a VPN server, what are you using for a VPN client at your home?

Maybe the routing is already going. Can you access resources at any other 192.168.4.xxx address?

If other resources are available on the private network side of the VPN, it is possible that the routing is working but the VNC server restricts connections to clients on specific IPs. Did you set up the server, or did someone else do it?

Might take a bit of going back and forth to get things going, but stick with it. You will have to get these issues resolved before you can use any kind of remote control software.

My work is part of a VPN, and the actual VPN server is in Tennessee, I'm in San Diego. I am just the network admin for my network, not the whole thing. My VPN software i'm using is called SafeNet SoftRemote 9.0.3 by Watchguard technologies. It also says Mobile User VPN 6.1.1 in the "about" window. The administrator in Tennessee sent me this so I could use MS Outlook locally on my cpu instead of Outlook Web Access (OWA).

When I'm connected with Mobile User VPN, I can ping the Exchange server 192.168.10.2 (in Tennessee), but not 192.168.4.101, which is my cpu at work (San Diego).

In fact, now that you mention it, I'm probably restricted to certain IP/subnets.

Ideally, you need to configure a VPN server at you San Diego location. If you are the only one that needs to connect, any Windows NT based (NT, 2000 or XP) machine could do it. Windows server edition can handle multiple connections, as could a linux box. Actually, the linux box deals with it best, in my opinion, but the others would do just fine as well.

You would need to configure your internet access router to forward port 1723 to the computer you decide to use as a server and pass pptp traffic. Not difficult at all, unless you have one of those stupid (generally older) routers that doesn't support it. If you are going to use a Windows workstation, ideally it would be the one you wish to control, but it doesn't have to be.

As the local admin, you should have access to make the needed changes, but you would need to evaluate the need to get permission to do so.

Our gateway/vpn server is a soho firebox 6 by watchguard. I can configure it by entering with my cpu at work. Is this where I would configure it to forward port 1723? Thanks in advance for holdin on with me here!!

Yes, that's it. That one should support it without any problem. Also look for an option to enable for pptp passthrough, although it may be enabled by default, so you might not have to do anything.

I'll check it tomorrow. Thanks a bunch, and I'll let you know the outcome when I find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back