Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want mouse pass to highlight text 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeep7955

Technical User
Jun 12, 2005
US
Using GoLine 6.0 how do I set up my Web site so that passing the mouse over text will highlight or illuminate that text until the mouse moves on to the next text box? Don't want the pass to open the link; just highlight the text referring to the link. The text is currently underscored and links to a page elaborating on the subject. Thought the answer might lie in the Windows>>Actions area but could not find the desired action. Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you looking when you rollover the text it stays highlighted ontill you rollover another link? or just highlights on rollover and goes to normal when rolled off?

zbphill: A good example is when I pass the mouse over your underscored name: "zbphill" or mine: "Jeep7955". The names highlight--then as the mouse moves away the highlight turns off. I'm aware of the Rollover button among the Smart objects but that's about the extent of my knowledge of Rollovers.

There are two very different standards ways to do this.

Old method:
Open your and in Layout view click the down arrow next to the head button. This will allow you to see everything inside the pages header. Inside the header click the "Title" button and look in at the inspector. You can see the title of the page and below that options to set the text colors of links in various states (among other settings). The setting your looking for is "Active Link".

A big problem with the old method is that it must be set on every page. This means more code is needed and unless you use templates changing something means opening and changed every page.

New Method:
A newer method is to use CSS (cascading style sheets). CSS is a very powerful programming convention that isn't learnt overnight.

Here's the CSS rules that give you same control as the settings i mentioned above with the old method:
a:link { color: #00f; }
a:visited { color: #800080; }
a:hover { color: green; }
a:active { color: red; }

I recommend having the above CSS rules in an external style sheet that your pages link to. That way you can change the look of your entire site from one place. GoLive has various tool to help you make/set/change CSS rules.

CSS can be used to do a lot more then this, but you have to start somewhere.

wiser3: OK, I clicked on the down arrow. Four boxes appeared and I clicked on <title>. Then went to the Inspector, saw my title, the Text Colors and all boxes were checked. The Background color box was also checked. Then went to Preview, also to my Web site on line, but passing the mouse over the link has no effect at either location. Must be doing something wrong(?).

Is the active link color different then the link color? If both are red you won't see a difference.

What's the URL to your page? It's always easier for me to understand what's happening if i can see the actual page.

As i look through your pages source code i see more then one problem, including that you have two html tags.

I believe the problem mentioned above has to do with this code:

<p><font face="define"><font size="+6"><font size="7" color="lime" face="Georgia"><b><i>to the</i></b></font></font></font></p>
<p><font face="define"><font size="+6"><font size="7" color="lime" face="Georgia"><b><i>Humanists</i></b></font></font></font></p>
<p><font face="define"><font size="+6"><font size="7" color="lime" face="Georgia"><b><i>at</i></b></font></font></font></p>
<p><font face="define"><font size="+6"><font size="7" color="lime" face="Georgia"><b><i>Barefoot Bay</i></b></font></font></font></p>

Notice all those font tags defining color="lime"? They are overridding the settings i mentioned earlier in this thread. You need to remove all the extra font color attributes (there's other stuff that could be removed to).

Where did they come from? They get put added in everytime you select some text and click a color property. Any time you add a color, bold, font size, etc... and don't see a change on the page undo that setting so the extra font tag is removed.

As i hinted at earlier this is the old school way of making web pages. Nowadays we use CSS, in which you wouldn't have fonts tags at all, just one file with a few settings in it that gives you control over the placement, color, size, etc... of every piece of text and pic in your whole site.

wiser3: Many thanks, you've given me a lot to work on.

I made a css rule that will override your font tags and give the effect you want.

1. Copy the complete style tag below into the head section of your page. (It must be between the < head> and < /head> tags.)

2. Change the color 'red' to whatever color you want.

3. Remove the space character after the opening > (i had to put in that space here so the forum would display the tag properly).

< style type="text/css" media="all"><!-- a:hover { color:red; } --></style>

Once you have it working on one page properly you can copy/paste it into your site template or all your other pages.

wiser3: Red is beautiful. Worked like a charm! Thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back