Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wanna datagrid realtime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent81

Programmer
Dec 18, 2002
ID
I have a problem for my database using SQL 2000 and connection database using ADODB
I make a client program to input order
and a server program just have datagrid tp show all order every time
But i need datagrid in server is realtime .

I have tried use timer to make datagrid always refresh, but datagrid was not update

May someone ever have had a problem like this,Thanks for the attention :)

If you really want to drag down the performance of your server you could always use a timer control to do a requery on the recordset.

You should really be asking some questions of your app here.

How many records do you need to display at any moment?
How dynamic are they?
Do people need to see more than one day's orders?
Do the people using the app need to see other peoples entrys?
What type of entrys need to show current data?
If you need to display current data, can it be one record at a time, or do you really need to display 20 or 30 records?

Bottom line, navigation by 1 record at a time, you can show the latest and greatest data easily (but it still places extra overhead on the system), if you need to show more, you are really beginning to ask a little too much of the system, unless you have very few users, big network pipes and lots of processing power.

If you need to refresh a grid, make the where clause restrict the data you are getting.

My 2c

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back