Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WAN Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

legion

MIS
Aug 19, 2001
US
I have a cisco 2500 series router with 2 eth int, and 1 serial wan link to an external csu/dsu to a full T1. Do I need to set the clock rate to 1544000 on my serial interface or not?

thanks Greg

You shouldnt have to set the clockrate. You can attempt to set the clockrate on your router, and it will either work or give you an error message if you arent the one who is supposed to be setting the clockrate. ~~~~~~~~~~
shnypr-small.gif

tech@shnypr.com
~~~~~~~~~~

who is your provider generally if they are anyone but momandpop telco they will provide at least stratum2 clocking which will sufice in most cases. so there is not to many instances when you'll need to set that.

You could apply a bandwidth statement to the serial interface.

interface Serial0
bandwidth 1544

This is merely cosmetic and won't affect the actula speed of the interface, however, routing protocols and SNMP may depend on this statement.

I beleive the CSU/DSU is responsible for the channel timeslots. If you had a WIC (internal CSU/DSU) installed on the router to where you wouldn't need an external CSU/DSU, the command to specify channels would need to be entered in IOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back