Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WAN connection need some troublshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

homerunkevin

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2002
US
Staff in santa clara has been complaining that they have a very slow connection to our server here in San Francisco. They currently have an internet speed of SDL of 1Mbps up/784 down which is very fast. They recommend that they get a T1 to improve their internet speed, however, we are not sure whether that solves the issue or not. Is there a mointoring software, tools in our server, or other network utilities that help troubleshot this issue.

What had done in the firewall is the increase the DHCP lease from 1 hour to 1 day. We also change the registry setting in our domain controller to let workstation not be kick out when they are idle for 15 minutes. That change help with our Fresno/Madera office.

If you ecounter simliar experince or have any good to troubleshoot such case, i appreciated your prompt response.

Best regards
Kevin Z
Techncial Support specailist

How many users are on the other end? There is a free tool called MRTG to monitor your WAN bandwidth. It was built for a *nix machine, but there is also a Windows version, though I have not used that one. I have mine running on RedHat Linux and it polls every 5 minutes. You must have SNMP enabled on your routers for it to work. You ought to check it out.
Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back