Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wall Mounting an MLX phone? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerlinRob

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2021
US
Hi -

I’m looking to wall-mount an MLX-10D phone. I always thought this was built into the base until I tried to go do it and it’s just not quite right.

I see the manual says it requires a 630B bracket (not included). Googling this doesn’t turn up many results.

Any advice for searching for such a bracket or crafting a DIY solution?

I see there are wall-jack style keyhole mounts on the back, but no provision for the cable to exit neatly.

I’m grateful for any creative thoughts you might have to offer.

Here is a picture of the MLX-10 wall mount base:

Link

It has cutouts for both wall mount and desktop positioning. [smile]

Thanks, Dexman.

Is that photo of an MLX-10 (Merlin Legend) base or an MLS-10 (Partner)?

They definitely got this right on the Partner phones! I almost feel silly asking about this because of that. I've wall-mounted many a Partner phone but I've only ever had one wall-mount MLX in my world before, and if I remember, it was a little janky. Now maybe I understand why that was the case!

The fact that google turns up no search results for the bracket mentioned in the Legend manual perhaps means that the bracket (630B) was never made. But I figure there are some way wiser and more experienced folks on here that might have a fix.

From the photo you shared, I'm not sure that would fit the MLX phone, but it's definitely got the right wall-mounting holes. Maybe the fact that they got it right in Partner is just an indication they gave up on making it right in Merlin MLX. Not sure.

I do have an ETR card, so I suppose if I really care that much about a pretty wall mount, I could pick up an MLS phone.

I was just hoping there was some answer to this I hadn't yet found!

Hi Rob,

The listing does specify MLX-10 as opposed to an MLS-12.

I've wallmounted Partner and 4400 series sets. The 4400 base was optional while the bases for the Partner sets were included.

TTT, Merlinman and a few others would know for sure. [smile]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

630B is the standard metal Wall Mount Telephone jack
630B_m5muhz.jpg

When you remove the desk stand from the MLX telephone set, the back side looks like this:
(Notice that there are slots to fit the "ears" on the wall mount jack, BUT, it is FLAT between them, so you can't actually mount the phone on the jack)
MLX-Rear_qali1i.jpg

IF the 630B jack on mounted to an electrical box, you can take the faceplate off, pop the modular jack assembly out of the frame, plug in a line cord, bury the modular jack in the electrical box, reassemble the faceplate while bringing the line cord out through one of the cable slots at the top of the face plate. Now you can plug the cord into the bottom of the phone and mount it to the faceplate
MLX-Mounting_bvrqpf.jpg

If you don't have the option to bury the modular jack in the wall, such as a surface I/W run and jack, you can use just the metal faceplate from a 630 jack, screw it to the wall with flathead wood screws, and mount the phone to that. Run the line cord to the jack and staple it down.

Wow TTT! Great illustrations!

Frustrating that is the case.

I was starting to think the 630B might be a wall jack but was hoping it wasn’t.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I guess they made this better for Partner but sort of threw in the towel on Merlin. I wonder why. It would have been so easy to do this in the base as they did with Partner! Such is life...

Now I know what I have to do. Thanks!

perhaps, you may try turning the desk base upside down on the wall and using the short [ i forget, 8 or 12 inch ] d8 cord. [ assuming that you're using the 630b.]
this choice would cost the user the quick reference card tray, but they may seldom use it anyway.
if i remember correctly, this also improves the faceplate and hookswitch angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back