Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wake-On-Lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedog75

MIS
Aug 6, 2014
US
Problem:

I am in need of using Wake-on-Lan to wake up my pc's in a domain environment. I have WoL working if I plug the pc directly into the network wall jack. My problem comes in when I use the PC port on the phone to provide a network connection to my computer. WoL does not work when the PC is connected through the Avaya 9611G. Do you guys have any insight on this?

I can't really help, but as a reference point I have thin clients connected to 46xx phones, and here WoL works fine.

Are your PC's on the same VLAN when they are plugged behind the phone as they would be as plugged in directly?
Generally speaking a pc needs to be in the same layer 2 network as the pc that sends the WOL-Packet, in order to receive the broadcast,
unless the routers in between forward the broadcast. Now that is the simple answer as there is more to it.
Avaya wrote a little document on the matter

I am using Cisco switching environment. I have a regular vlan for my PC's and then utilize the voice vlan feature for a vlan for the phones. This is for DNS and QOS.

OK, if you are using Layer2 switches , ie 2960's and they are in the same VLAN you should be OK.
The broadcast stays in the same broadcast-domain.
If you are using Layer3 switches, ie 3560,3750,3560,3650,4500, or there is another routing device in between,
then you need to set up IP-DIRECTED-BROADCAST.
Cisco switches this feature off by default for security reasons (smurf attack).
Another issue could be if you implemented 802.1x authentication.

The simple question would be, does the broadcast make it to, and through the phone?
I would use a very simple switch with a monitoring port and see if the WOL magic packet arrives at the primary interface of the phone.
(Put in between) Then switch to the other port on the phone and see if the magic packet arrives there, using wireshark.
The Avaya phones are a 2 port switch by themselves, so they could be blocking this, but this is a point you need to prove.
As far as I could find, Avaya published nothing usefull in the form of documentation on the matter, from the phone's point of view.
What UDP port have you sent the WOL on? what I found was that UDP port 7 seems to be used for something else on the 96xx's

Try and see if sending the Magic Packet to the broadcast address of the VLAN does something..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back