Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wake On Lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJohnson4611

Technical User
Sep 30, 2003
US
Does anyone know of a shareware title that can provide Wake On Lan for multiple PCs? I need it for a school lab setting.

Scott

If your PC supports it in the BIOS, and the NIC supports it, then I think that all you have to do is hit the NIC with traffic and it will wake up. Am I wrong?

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCTS:Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

My lab teachers want to be able to shut all PCs off and or turn on from the teacher PC.

You need shutdown.exe which is part of Windows Server but is not installed by default. This will remotely shutdown or startup remote computers.

Regards: Terry

They need to be able to shutdown or boot about 30 PCs at a time.

You can do the whole shebang. Just need to write a script that includes all the computer names.

I believe there is a KnowledgeBase article explaining shutdown.exe. I've not done it myself but I have seen it used to do this requirement.

Terry

Regards: Terry

What operation system is on each machine? You could try PStools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back