Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wake-on-LAN and ZEN7

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2006
US
Hi, we're in the beginning stages of implementing ZEN7 in our environment, and we've had moderate success with test rollouts, imaging, application distribution, and remote control. However, one of the areas where we seem to have hit a wall is with Remote Wakeup. No matter what we've tried, we cannot get it to work. So here's the particulars on our environment: We're running NW6.5/sp5, ZW Desktop Management 7 unpatched (there's no patches available yet). We've got a switched 100BaseTX/full duplex environment with TCP/IP and IPX/SPX currently on the wire. The IP is all in one subnet, and is NATed out to the Internet. We're not crossing any routers trying to get to the PCs to wake up. The PCs we're using are Dell Optiplex GX50s, 60s, 240s, 280s, and 620s running Windows 2000 Pro/SP4. The BIOS in the PCs are set to enable WOL. The workstations are registered in eDirectory. Also, the Power Management settings on the PCs enable the network adapter to awaken the PC from a suspend or hibernate state. We've tried it with a soft-off state, suspend state, and hibernate state. We've even gone so far as to isolate a test server and two PCs on a single hub with no other network traffic. All to no avail. Is there something we're missing here, because I wouldn't imagine it's this complicated. If not for the hub testing I might've thought we were blocking broadcast traffic at the switches, but like I said, it doesn't even work on an isolated hub.

Thanks in advance for any information (-:

Bret

You didn't list inventory, have you gotten inventory to work?

Last I tried, I needed to have the PC's inventoried for the WOL to work.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

I haven't inventoried them yet, but I can certainly give that a try. Inventory is my next priority. Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back