Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wait window not displayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerrit Broekhuis

Programmer
Aug 16, 2004
NL
Hi,

I'm running a small program with a single, small modeless form, using SCREEN = OFF in a config file.

For some reason my wait window messages are not displayed.
What can be causing this (using VFP8 SP1)?

Regards, Gerrit

What is the code you are using?
If the text you are trying to display in the wait window equates to an empty string, the wait window won't appear.
For example:
Code:
WAIT WINDOW '' TIMEOUT 2

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Dave,

The wait window does have content for sure.

It probably has something to do with my form. The form is a modeless, top level form, WindowState Normal. I use screen=off in config.fpw.

Reagards, Gerrit

It probably has something to do with my form. The form is a modeless, top level form, WindowState Normal. I use screen=off in config.fpw.
I've just tested one of our course samples which demonstrates a very simple top level form. It has exactly the same properties as yours. I added a WAIT WINDOW "Hi" to a Click event and the window came up inside the top level form. The Wait window still appeared when I tried a much much longer message. There must be something elsewhere in your code stopping your message but I can't imagine what.

This is VFP 8 SP 1 under Windows XP Pro SP 2.

Geoff Franklin

pa33avjj said:
The wait window does have content for sure
You can test the verification of that statement with
Code:
WAIT WIND [1 ] + TRANSFORM(myVariable)
where myVariable is the variable that should be displayed.

The TRANSFORM() function will prevent any 'Operator/operand type mismatch' errors depending on the VARTYPE() of myVariable

If the WAIT WIND appears showing only '1', then you can be sure you'll need to start tracking where you're losing the variable.

If the WAIT WIND does not appear at all, then as Geoff suggests, you have another problem altogether.

FAQ184-2483 - answering getting answered.​
Chris [pc2]
PDFcommander[sup]tm[/sup].com
PDFcommander[sup]tm[/sup].co.uk

The _screen object; and the _vfp object for that matter, must be visible for the "Wait Message" to appear.
(The message displays in the screen object and not the top level form)

Example:
Code:
o = createobject("myform")
o.show()
read events

define class myform as form
  docreate = .t.
  autocenter = .t.
  desktop = .t.
  showwindow = 2
  caption = "A form"

add object cmdOne as commandbutton with ;
    height = 24, ;
    width = 100, ;
    top = this.height / 2 - 12, ;
    left = this.width / 2 - 50, ;
    caption = "Click Me"

procedure init
    _screen.visible = .f.
  endproc

procedure destroy
    clear events
    _screen.visible = .t.
  endproc

procedure cmdOne.click
    wait "The wait message" window timeout 2
  endproc

enddefine

yoy may also want to trace all your issued KEYPRESS commands as they will affect the way your wait window is displayed.

hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside."

This is from the Universal Thread
I think it still applies to VFP 8:
"If you've upgraded to VFP 6.0, you may have noticed that calls to WAIT WINDOW don't display the window with an SDI form.
This will occur if the form's ShowWindow property is set to 2 (As Top-Level Form) and the Desktop property is set to .T.
Since the Desktop property is ignored when ShowWindow is set to 2, you may safely re-set the property to its default .F.
This will restore VFP's showing of the WAIT WINDOW in the SDI form."

Andy Rice
San Diego, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back