Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wait while loading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2002
GB
This may be the wrong place to post this...

I have created an htm page for a client with an iFrame which loads a jsp page, which contains an interactive performance chart. Thing is the darn thing takes about 10 seconds to load, even at work with a 2MB leased line.

So I can imagine it's not any better for clients at home viewing the site.

Anyway, I have been asked if I could implement a "Please Wait..." message as it loads.

However, I can't seem to do this. The IFRAME itself is in a scrollable div container (part of the design of the site), even normal HTML outside of the OFRAME, but within the div container does not show up until the iframe is finished loading.

Any ideas at least where I can look?

Will

I usually use JavaScript for "Loading..." messages.

The general path would be:
(1) start the loading message going in the parent page
(2) start the JSP loading in the IFRAME
(3) include an ONLOAD event in the BODY tag of the JSP which flips a flag in the parent page
(4) stop the loading message when flag is flipped

For further information on how to do this, please go to the JavaScript Forum (forum216).

Dave

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce
they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does
[infinity]

Have you any code snippets? I clicked onthe forum, but apart from reporting this question I'm not sure what to search for...

Thanks,

Will

You can search the JavaScript forum for 'loading iframe' and you should find results. Use the 'Search' button that appears on the button-bar below the thread header (not the Search-and-Google-Search options at the top).

Code snippets on my part would be JavaScript and would not serve to help future JavaScript users (hidden, as it would be, in THIS forum). That is why you should post the question in the JavaScript forum.

Dave

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce
they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does
[infinity]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back