Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wait/post inter region

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikiu

Programmer
Feb 15, 2008
CA
Hello,

Here is the convoluted logic needed to fix, of course, of a design oversight of some idiot: While executing program "X" in region "A" I must to start remotely a transaction in region "B"; that transaction submits a batch job; that batch job LINKS via EXCI to a program in region "B", when that program ends in region "B", that is when my original program "X" in region "A" can continue. With all the async processes (START, Submit) how can I coordinate the work?
I am thinking POST and WAIT ... but does this work remotely inter region? Are there any "remote" ECBs?
Any ideas, anyone ... somebody, somewhere?

Much obliged for your thoughts ...

Mikiu

Whatever you do to this, with so many things to go wrong it is going to be a constant support headache.

Instead of submitting the batch job, is there any reason you can't just do a remote LINK to the program in region B? Then X would block until it returned, and you wouldn't need to mess about with Sellotape and string solutions.

Steve

[small]"Every program can be reduced by one instruction, and every program has at least one bug. Therefore, any program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work." (Object::perlDesignPatterns)[/small]

Hello Steve,
You are right, I had the same concerns ... and just imagine how I could test this?!?! But unfortunately it MUST be a batch job as it executes with parms incompatible with CICS (POSIX and XPLINK).
I will LINK waiting for the submit program to return and then POST a reasonable interval and WAIT to let the batch job do its refresh thing and then retry and probably hit 99% of the cases (which is better than now).

Thank you,
Miki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back