Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wacom tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyphoidMary

Technical User
Dec 21, 2002
US
O.K. so whats your opinion on these tablets or any other tablet of it's kind?
I get tired & annoyed by customers crappy art.
Why is it that no one understands that Word docs are not art.
I'm just looking for a quicker way to crank out their art for the sign business. I don't have much trouble with recreating their art but of course it's time consuming.
I'd like to hear your opinions.

My old partner and I butt heads on this still. I started using a Wacom long before he did. I thought it would make all my art easier. After a while I noticed I was still makeing very mouse like gestures. Menu's, check boxes, scroll bars and all the other things you do when you arent drawing were actually harder to get at. It's not that the cursur moved any less freely, it just took a little extra effort to zero in on where I was trying to click. But I had and ego at the time and it made me look cool so kept with it for a while longer. Finally, about the time my partner starting using his pen (sat in the box til now) I had started using a combo of the pen and mouse. I'd just holster the pen when I had menu and pallete stuff to do. After that it just started getting longer and longer before I'd go to pick up the pen again. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the wacom pens are alot "neater" than they are useful when working in illustrator. It's a percision program and doesnt call for alot of dexterity. That said, drawing freehand lines with the pen is as intuitive as you'd think, even though your not looking at the surface your drawing on. Photoshop of course is a different story. It's a real paint program so the pen comes in handy constantly, espessialy with pressure control. But what I think you looking for is a faster meathod of rebuilding art. All I can say is that the meathods of rebuilding are as artistic as they are varied. Personally I perfer to just take advantage of AI's tools in tricky ways to reduce the number of click I have to make. For example I would overlap basic shapes until they collectivly formed the shape I was tracing then Pathfinder->Unite them rather than hand clicking a line all the way around an object. My wacom has an old serial connector on it and my comps are all USB only now and I just havnt felt the need to spring for a new pad or an adapter. Havnt missed it that much. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Thats a sad story Jaquan

I have an A4 Wacom Tablet. Perhaps I could live without it when working in Illustrator, but not when it comes to PhotoShop. I wouldn’t be without it when I am clipping out figures with mask-tools. If the brush that I am using, has to be bigger, then I am just pushing the pen a bit harder against the tablet.
The precision is in your fingertips and not in handmovings such as mouse-movements. A simple example on the precision is that you can write pretty letters with the pen – That’s impossible with a mouse.
And best of all – I am not ruining my fingers on holding mousekeys down. When I have to click with the pen – I simply tab with the pen.

I have always been glad that I bought my tablet.

From KBBJ (-:

Wow, and A4, that must be nice. Funny thing, I've been using and optical mouse for about a year now and I have to say, it acts very much like a pen sometimes. Sure it doesnt give you that finger tip control, but in a sence it does. It's a sleek little number that lends alot of control over line drawing because its a high res mouse so it tracks 8 times the pixels. I really wanna try one of those flat panel monitor wacoms, anyone got to use one yet? BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back