Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W98v2 - "Msgsvr32.exe Not Responding" - Loading Desktop HANGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafferty5268

Technical User
May 22, 2002
GB
The loading of a fairly full W98 desktop hangs on initial load. Cntrl_alt_del produces "Msgsvr.exe not responding". When taskmaster unticks "Still Image Monitor" in MSConfig and restarts, the glitch disappears and loading of the desktop proceeds normally. A few start-ups later, the "Stlll Image Monitor" in "Start-up" of MSConfig has automatically "re-ticked" itself and the whole weary process takes place once again. The MS site Knowledge Base is not hepful in this. Can anyone help me with a permanent fix to this very annoying irritant?

Thank you!

I don't know what "Still Image Monitor" is...( I'm assuming a startup program.....or Task Monitor?).....

Do you have any Scheduled Tasks?......and is Task Monitor visible in System Tray (near clock)?.....you may be able to just "Stop Using Task Scheduler".....(Open and on Advanced Menu....choose above said line...

If not,
go to
Start>Run>type "Regedit"..(no quotes)....go to...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices.....and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.....and
delete "String"(right pane)..NOT the "Key" (in the left pane)......pertaining to the startup....also look in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.......and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices....

Hope it helps

I had a problem with msgsver32.exe on my laptop. It is used by MSN to check if there are any e-mails for you on your ISP.

At the time I had MSN6 (I think that was the version number, I think the latest is MSN8 but I stopped using it because M$ wanted some brass to use the software) and I was using it instead of Outlook Express.

The software seemed to be designed for someone always online rather than Dial-up and so was for ever trying to connect and would often fall over.

I solved the problem, I stopped using MSN6, uninstalled the software and went back to Outlook Express and the problem was solved.

How did you get to "uninstalling" msgsrv32.wexe. I don't know where it resides and MS knowledge base very helpfuly - as usual - don't give a single word on it !
Kocking out every entry referring to msgsrv32.exe in the registry is too dangerous, I guess, since the system might thereafter be looking for something that it no longer there.

Can you tell me how you went about knocking this nuisance executable out. I certainly don't need it as I use 3rd party (non-MS) internet comm suites anyway.

Thanks

It was in the Add/Remove Program list and I deleted both MSN6 and Messenger.

Hi

:-( It's not in my Add/Remove list ......

Anyway, I've renamed some entries with RegEdit and for the time being, there's peace!

Many thanks

No!

msgsrv32.exe still hangs the desktop coming through!

How to remove this pesky thing for good ?

I don't think you can(not sure) or should try to get rid of it......Maybe the file itself is corrupted.....but I think msgsvr32 is kind of like a engine dashboard warning light telling you something is wrong,,,,somewhere on sys....

Have you done some recent config w/your audio card....
Try this;

tt4U

No, nothing's been changed with audio or any other drivers.
The irritating part is that sometimes this hangs the GUI and at other times, GUI comes live happily enough. When it hangs, a CntrL_Alt_Del tells that "msgsrv32.exe is not responding". Then I go into msconfig and untick "Still Image Monitor" (whatever that is) and the hanging diappears for a day or two. Next time it hangs, msconfig shows that "Still Image Monitor" has re-anabled itself and the circle starts all over again! I have renamed the only strings in the registry which refer to msgsrv32 but that has neither hindered nor has it helped!

Do find in the REG for 'still image monitor'....and hunt it down that way........

Go here
and download this nice little free program that I use to monitor my startup.......
If you download both
"StartupCPL"...and
"Startup Monitor".....you'll be able to stop this from ever happening again...

Many people are experiencing problems which they can trace back to Msgsrv32. But
Msgsrv32 is not the cause. Some info on Msgsrv32:

Msgsrv32.exe is a program (Windows 32-bit message server) that performs several
background functions necessary for Windows operation.

These functions include:

Load installable Windows drivers at startup and unload them at shutdown.

Run the shell program (usually Explorer.exe) and re-run the shell if it fails to respond.

Mediate Plug and Play messages among various parts of the operating system.

Coordinate automatic responses to Setup programs. This includes checking whether a
Setup program has improperly overwritten Windows files, and optionally restoring the
Windows versions of those files.

Display the initial logon dialog box if networking is enabled.

Play the system startup and shutdown sounds.

Usually these messages appear on shutdown. Here are some more common errors and their
causes:

MSGSRV32.DLL caused a General Protection Fault in Module CM8330SB.DRV

You need to visit the C-Media site and upgrade your drivers

See: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q188803

Msgsrv32 not responding

See: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q169987

Msgsrv32 Not Responding When Computer Hangs While Idle

Mprexe Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module Kernel...

Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Kernel32.dll
Any of the following Errors may appear:
Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module Kernel32.dll.
Commgr32 caused an invalid page fault in module Kernel32.dll.
Mprexe caused an invalid page fault in module Kernel32.dll.
Msgsrv32 caused an invalid page fault in module Kernel32.dll.
A TCP/IP problem has occurred. Please check if you have TCP/IP installed and selected
for your modem.
Msnviewr caused an invalid page fault in module Kernel32.dll.
After you receive the error message, your computer may stop responding.

Fatal Exception in Msgsrv32.exe When You Quit Windows 95
This occurs if the Graphics Display Interface (GDI) handle table has become damaged.
To work around this issue, remove the Microsoft Find Fast shortcut from the StartUp
folder. To do so, use the following steps:
1st, backup your registry
1. Right-click the desktop, click New, and then click Folder.
2. Type "Disabled StartUp shortcuts" (without quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
3. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders.
4. In the Named box, type "startup" (without quotation marks), and then click the
Advanced tab.
5. In the Of Type box, click Folder, and then click Find Now.
6. Double-click the StartUp folder (after you verify it is in the Windows\Start
Menu\Programs folder), right click the Microsoft Find
Fast shortcut, and then click Cut.
7. Quit the Find Files Or Folders tool, right-click the Disabled StartUp Shortcuts folder, and
then click Paste.
8. Restart your computer.

Thanks to both of you for your helpful advice re the msgsrv32 problem. I've d/loaded and installed the two utilities you pointed me to and we'll see !

As of now, it loads the GUI no problem. That doesn't mean it isn't going to get up to its old tricks again on the next start-up :-(

Thanks again for the help!

Best wishes

ttodd:

FYI..

Next time you do a verbatim copy and paste answer, be sure to show where you got it from or you are violating copywrite.

Murray

Do a google search for Msgsrv32 pwl if your problem persists. I recently corrected a problem related to those two items.

If you do a file>find on *.pwl you may discover that some of those files are more than 1K or that they are not all the same size. This might be indicative of a corrupted user password file(s).

"If you frequently receive Invalid Page Fault in Kernel32.dll Errors, from different drivers (Explorer, Guide.exe, Msgsrv32, Commgr32, Mprexe and others), it is possible that your password list file is damaged. Try re-creating your password list file:" [see instructions given].

Go to your Control Panel>Users and re-enter your user passwords. Select each user and the 'Set Password' button. Leave old password blank. Type any new password and confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back