Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W7 Search solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlockley

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
US
After moaning about Windows 7 search for some time I think I have found a solution.
Windows 7 search is an abomination, crashes my machine, gives me a list of hundreds of mp3 files (not necessarily songs) when i search for a file named "music" and can't find idapi32.*** with both hands. (really..it can't, and i've indexed my fingers raw)
After trying a few including Run Rabit and Copernicus (I believe), which was a bit intrusive, I think I have found an ideal solution, probably 32 bit only.
Searches file names and contents separately (searching contents requires opening the advanced tab and is slower)
Indexes drives (+/- 800 gb, ) in a couple of minutes. File searches take seconds.
There is no right click context, but it's just nice to be able to search as I want again.
Just thought I'd share.

Free Agent Ransack comes in 32 and 64-bit versions and works pretty slick as well.

Les temps sont durs pour les reveurs.

What I like about this is that it is a) light, b) fast and c) allows initiation of search from shortcut to folders with a right click.
I don't remember why Agent Ransack didn't quite work, but I am sure it's a great product, too. The truth is, there should be no need (as there should be no need for extend clipboard apps.)
I nearly like Windows 7, after I spend hours tweaking and getting to use my chosen file locations instead of the benighted library system and set the BDE engine to work with it's eccentricities, but they dropped the ball on search.
MSoft's solution to that is selective startup adding or removing all other programs one at a time and a clean install if that doesn't work.
Mine, by the way, couldn't find it's dll with both hands and crashed every time it did manage to find something, despite repeated indexing. I am ecstatic to have found something that works for me. Thanks to everyone who made alternative solutions, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back