Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W3SVC1 files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biafra70

Technical User
Aug 7, 2003
CA
Hellow Everyone,
I noticed that the size of the file -W3SVC1 associated with Microsoft Internet information services 5.0 being logged in the directory:

c:\winnt\system32\logfiles\W#SVC1 is growing extensively.

Could anyone help with the implications, and how best to manage it. Can I safely delete it?. Or any best way to archive it and automatically control the size.

I have checked my Exchange System Manager,and the SMTP logging WAS not enabled. I have not deleted the log. Still hoping for solution.

Compgirl,

How the heck is your article related to what Biafra is asking? Maybe I'm missing something?

Biafra, you can safely delete those logfiles. I do this in my environment once a month. You just need to keep the current day's logs. They are just log files that do not get purged automatically and they keep building up and will eat away at your disk space if you do not purge them.

Zoey

I have no flippin' idea! Was thinking bout the W3SVC 'hole', I guess. Sorry, 31 year old son-in-law had heartache and spent most of the day with hiim at hospital, not paying enough attention.
I generally deselect the W3C Extended Log File Format. But you can choose how the file is updated and what information needs to be placed in the file. Or go ahead and follow zoeythecats recommendation.
===========================================================
My web servers get hit with lots of requests, my IIS log files (typically stored at <root>\winnt\system32\logfiles) can REALLY add up also. Depending upon your settings, these log files have the potential to eat up significant portions of hard drive space. If ignored for lengthy periods of time, the accumulation of these log files can potentially reduce system performance, and in the worst case, crash your server due to insufficient disk space.
When this happens, I have found it useful to have a method in place to off-load IIS logs to a file server on a routine basis. I use Scheduled Tasks and an MS-DOS batch file script to automate this process.

I have deleted the log. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

And to zoey, Biafra remains my dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back