Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W3DBSMGR (5.22.1.18): Error 8520

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeisaT

Technical User
Nov 30, 2005
LS
Hello Mirtheil,

Each and everytime I logon to my Windows XP PRO workstation, I encounter this error message:

W3DBSMGR (5.22.1.18): Error 8520 - A timeout occurred during the initialization of SRDE engine.

My observation is that the Pervasive Engine icon in the System Tray also does not launch.

Please explain the problem and its solution?

Regards,
SeisaT

Not enough information to help.
How did you install the PSQL engine?
WHat version of PSQL is installed?

Usually that error means there's a missing component.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Pervasive.SQL 9.5 Workgroup Engine.
Pervasive was installed by an Administrator by running the "PSQL-Workgroup-9.50.077.002-Win32.exe" file from a Network Folder while sitting on the Terminal Server.

This error does not appear when logging to the Terminal Server as an Administrator but appears when other users logs on.

The Terminal Server is running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition (+sp1).

Rgds,
SeisaT

Have you done anything other than install the PSQL Workgroup Engine?
The WGE runs as a standard process and can only load once. In a TS/Citrix environment, the WGE tries to load multiple times when multiple users run it.
Are you trying to access the data locally on the TS?
Also, how many users are you going to have? It it's more than 5, you'll probably want to switch to the Server Engine. The Server Engine also runs natively as a service so it handles TS/Citrix environments better.

I did find the following in the Pervasive documentation:
Terminal Server as Network Server

You may use your terminal server as your main network server and database server. However, if you have high usage of the server as a file server as well as many terminal sessions running at the same time, you may find the performance less than satisfactory.

Another concern is having all of your mission critical services on the same machine. If it goes down, all of your services go down at once.

For these reasons, you may wish to consider distributing your mission critical services on two or more computers.
Workgroup Engine Running as a Service

You may configure your server to run the Workgroup engine as a service. This allows the engine to start automatically when the operating system starts. A user is not required to log in to start the engine. Refer to Running the Workgroup Engine as a Service .
It's from

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back