Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2kPro sudden CPU usage 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRCI

Technical User
Apr 16, 2006
US
This happened today with a Dell Latitude 600. I installed the latest MS suggested patches... I believe one was for IE and other for OE... and there was another one or so. I did not write down the numbers.

My CPU usage stays at 100% after rebooting. I can get to the Add/Remove software; it takes a while... but I don't know the numbers of the hotfixes. Does anybody know those numbers which I assume caused all of this since I did nothing in between the time it worked fine, updating, rebooting and running into this trouble...

It seems that there is no way to protect myself from incidents like this no matter how I back up or careful I am with what I put in this machine...

Thank you for any suggestions you might have...

There seems to be issues with KB908531 on certain platforms. It slowed one of my machines to a crawl while another PC works just fine with it. Try uninstalling it from Control Panel Add/Remove programs and see if that helps.

Sorry, brain cramp ... my updates applied to XP so I don't know if applies to your 2000 Pro too.

Thank you very much... a bit rude of me not to answer right away. Your suggestion worked, somehow indirectly... KB908531 was part of the update but trying to uninstall it triggered a warnning that KB912812 might not continue to work. Well THAT was the culprit; once I took it off and reboot everything was back to normal. I suppose this machine can't have IE 6 patched.
Regards.

I'm glad it worked out, if not as planned :)

Just curious to know if you tried KB912812 without KB908531?

I will, once I came back from a business trip... we are a literary agency in NY and I take care of ALL tech stuff... quite stressfull to see my "brain" laptop going 'south' so to speak from a routine procedure. I used to say openly how I felt about various software companies back in the 90's while I was on OS2... but I leart my lesson...

Thanks again, I will try but after I buy a new HD for this laptop and have EMC Danz make a mirror of what I have now... then and only then will I mess with any microsof update (note the lower case)
Best,
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back