Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K3 Server migration and file permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

yldbrainoj

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2003
US
Hello,
We are currently migrating from a win2000 server to a win2003 server. This will be done via a tape restore from arcServer 9.01 with all the latest service packs.
Game plan: Restore the files from a full back up to the new server. Spend the next couple of days setting up the permissions and DFS and etc etc... And then when all that is set up, lay a differential backup on top of the full backup so the new server will be up to date with all the production files...
Our Dilemma: When we restore a differential backup the file permissions remain how they were from the old server, we tried have the permissions propagate from the root directories down to the file level, but this doesnt work without some tinkering...
My Question: Is there a way for arcServe to not apply the security settings from the original files and have the new native directories set those permission when the get placed on the server? I tried using the restore and preserve directory attributes and security information check box in the options section of the restore...but whethere that was checked or not didnt make any difference.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Any help is appreciated. Thank you,
YldBrainOJ

I have the same prob, but I need to do it to an NT 4.0 server. Folder struture is there, but I just need to restore the permissions over the top...I'm trying to figure a way to do it a the moment.

I figured this one out. We did a full back up(clear archive bit) of the data during the day. And restored the same data to the new server during the same day. Immediately after business hours we ran a differential copy against the current data to the data we already moved to the new server. This was an extremely succesful, and extremely fast method. All the file permissions and created dates remained intact as well. The entire process involved at most a half hour of down time per 40 gigs of data. Not bad.
Thanks CA.
-Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back