Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K w/exchange 2000 to W2K3 w/exchange 2003 (small business)

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekludwig

Programmer
Jun 18, 1999
US
We have a W2K advance server (our domain controller) running exchange 2000 that has become unusable to do the misconfiguration of the disks, installation of unapproved software, and general neglect.

What we like to do is install (not upgrade) W2K3 w/ exchange 2003 (aka "small business server") on this server, so we can clean things out, repartition, and so forth.

What we plan on doing is
- install W2K3 w/exchange 2003 on a second server
- make server 2 a member controller
- move all the users and mailboxes from server 1 to server 2
- make server 2 the domain controller
- install W2K3 w/exchange 2003 on a server 1
- make server 1 a member controller
- move all the users and mailboxes from server 2 back to server 1
- make server 1 the domain controller

Any problems with this plan?

Pardon my misuse of nomenclature, I got pulled into this problem when I answered my phone :).

----------------
Derek Ludwig
derek<at>ludwig.com

Derek,

Just reviewing your plan quickly, I don't think it will work because unless things have changed for SBS 2003, Small Business Server can only exist in its own domain in a single server environment, so you won't be able to add it to an existing domain or add another server to its domain.

There are, however, some guides from Microsoft that cover migrations to SBS 2003. Start with the &quot;Getting Started Guide&quot; at:

I'd also download the Microsoft document called &quot;Migrating From Small Business Server 2000 or Windows Server 2000 to Windows Small Business Server 2003&quot;. A link to this document can be found at:

The above link is a good starting point for you, as well.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back