Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w2k terminal services

Status
Not open for further replies.

crows27

MIS
Sep 4, 2001
US
Has anyone setup terminal services in w2k? I currently have a VPN connection with NT4 and will be rolling out w2k in the next month or so. IF i want to provide remote access to my users but also want remote admin for myself can i install Terminal server in remote admin mode to cover both needs?

Users would be accessing regular office files and accounting files....

thanks

In short if your question is can you get around purchasing licenses for the remote access. The answer is essentially no. Remote Admin Mode will limit the number of concurrent connections to I believe 2. If you install terminal services in Application Server mode and purchase Terminal Services License Packs to cover the number of client machines that will need access(unfortunately it is by machine and not concurrent users) then you can do both remote admin by connecting to the server desktop and have control over the "application set" that your remote users will see without giving them access to your server desktop.

Let me know if that helps.

JBroyles

to clarify.....in application mode they would be able to see the server desktop to access the applications ? OR just have access to the folders where they are housed and access the folder via a mapping made by the script at VPN logon?

If they need to access the internal mail server what is the best way? The current VPN i have setup gives them access to files on the servers but when they try to access outlook on their laptop or home PC exchange Timesout. Not sure if remote desktop software like pcanywhere would be a complement to the overall remote solution?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back