Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Service Pack 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekbabe

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
CA
Has anyone had any issues loading SP 3 on Windows 2000 server?

We are doing a large rollout and am considering going with SP3.

Chalk one vote for no problems attributed to SP3. Windows in general gives me problems sometimes though :)

I finally downloaded it on my desktop for testing. Won't put it on a server for a while yet. Did hfnetchk and only needed 3 patches. Installed them, no problems. Not going to set up the auto-updates though. So far, no prob. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[bat]

"Ideas control the world."
James A. Garfield (1831-1881) US president.

We had grief using Win2K SP3 , but that might be because we are in the process of migrating to Win2K from NT40 and there might have been something awry to being with.

Can't quote ya what the main problem was, but for now we are sticking with SP2.

Upgraded most of my non-essential servers to SP3, didn't have any trouble out of it yet, have to schedule downtime for the rest before I upgrade them...

"Notice, on xx/xx/02 between 8:00am and 12:00pm, no network services will be available" doesn't seem to go over too well for some reason...

Mike

Some workstations have SP3 now applied. It fixed some minor glitches they were expereiencing. Some non-critical servers have been upgraded to SP3.
All-in-all, it was painless apart from my Terminal Server that has TSAC installed. It stopped functioning and had to be reconfig'd and patched. I decided that since I no longer wanted TSAC on the TS boxes, simply to disable IIS and advised the lazy users that would not use the client software.

The remaining servers and PC's will be upgraded shortly.

SP3 gets a thumbs up from me.

Have rolled SP3 out to several W2K Pro workstations without any problems.... BUT.. installed to our Active Directory PDC and after the re-boot, all DHPC and DNS ceased working..
We did a complete restore to our original SP2 configuration and all is well. We will not be installing SP3 to our client's servers.

Hi,

We installed sp3 to all our non essential servers as well as a few production servers, no problems yet, waiting for downtime to upgrade the rest.We also applied sp3 to one of our most critical (and most volatile) clusters and have noted an improvement in the way it handles both memory and cpu usage. My only suggestion so far would be to disable the automatic update service it installs as it automatically goes out to the ms site to check for updates and patches which is a security risk.

We have installed on all our servers, and no problems. It actually speeds up replication and improves performance on our Dc's

If you had a problem installing SP3 or not can you include a comuter description. I am looking to see if one server type over another is having problems. We run Dell and Compaq servers.
Go Canucks! (rabid Vancouver Canucks Fan)

I have loaded SP3 on all my servers after a couple of weeks of non-critical machine testing. All servers, including the domain controllers upgraded fine, and have been working with no problems ever since.

I agree, it seems to have speeded things up a little.

WOW! What a great response. You have all given me some great information, thank you all very much.

[bomb]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back