Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadbit

MIS
Oct 23, 2001
US
I have 1 win2k server as the domain controller and serveral win98 workstations. All the workstations get and error, Unable to vailadate pw on server. They can all see the server in Network Neighood but for some reason they wont log on. Help pls.

Their can be different reasons for this:

Can u send me the configuration of ur network neighbourhoods properties i.e., Client for MS network and in TCP/IP's DNS tab configuration.

May be after that i will be able to tell u something

bye

Win98 doesnt not authenticate to win2k. It is not a member of the domain and will not get access to the resources. The only thing it can do is surf the net, if DHCP is enable on the domain. It will be able to see every machine on the domain, but wont have access to any resources,(i.e printers, shares, files,.

Win98 works fine on a domain. Set the network properties to Log on to an NT domain nd set the access controls to use a domain to authenticate. The system will force you to use a domain ID to log in.
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back