Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Server Installation Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilbrian

Programmer
Aug 16, 1999
US
I am new to W2K Server. When I go to install the software I am confused by two of the Questions. The first one is where it asks me the name of the domain. If I am trying to install a new W2K Server which will be the first W2K Server for this company, what name do I give it? I've tried to use a short (4 character) name (which also is the name of their web site), but W2K seems unhappy with this answer as it tries to contact the domain and reports it unreachable. When I finally give up and answer "Local", I can complete the install, but I fear that I am somehow establishing a workgroup instead of a domain when I answer this way. What is the right way to do this?

Question two has to do with folder access rights. I am used to Novell where the Supervisor establishes new folders (directories) and grants users specific rights to access those folders. It seems the other way around in W2K. It appears that everyone has complete access unless you remove it from their user ID. I need to allow certain users to view some folders, but not others. How do I do this?

Thanks in advance.

firstly dont set up domainsa or anything during setup, you get a nice friendly wizard when you first logon "configure your server" in the first steps of that you can specify your domain name, i was very confused by the dns stuff but i have our win2k system setup as net2k.local, that works fine and if you follow the configure your server wizard it will set it up as a domain controller as well as configure dns/dhcp and active directory for you.
file permissions are the same as NT, if you havnt used nt here it is, deny over rides read, so say you had a user called bob, he was a member of group a and group b, broub a had full controll to a dir called "dir" but group b had no access, the user wouldnt get access to the directory, now, if no permissions are set, it is the same as everyone deny, so if you just set a file permission to group a full controll, group b would be deny automaticly.

hope this helps

Marc Turner
Network Manager

E-Mail: Mturner@turnerm3.fsnet.co.uk

Answer to first question: Sounds like your tyring to join a domain, when a domain doesn't even exist.. if its the first domain controller in the domain, you need to run dcpromo and set it up as a "DOMAIN" controller so you actually have a domain..

Two: you can set the users individually, but once you do the DC setup and install active directory you'll have groups that you can specify for resources..

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..
then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

"I should of been a doctor.." Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back