Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k Server + Comcast Router... am I doing this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiflyer

Programmer
Sep 24, 2002
US
I have a Win2k server running DHCP and a Comcast router/cable modem for internet connectivity.

I've obviously disabled the DHCP server on the router.

Then on my DHCP server I have Server Options
DNS Server - Windows box
Domain Name - my name
Router - Comcast router

my subnet is 172.1.10.*

I believe this means that anyone who tries to access a 172.1.10.* address shouldn't even care about the router... but right now I'm having intermittent problems with the network, and I'm wondering if it's related to that. Basically it appears such that I can't reach my main server from certain workstations when pinged by name.

It's mostly right, except that you are using a public address space for your network, and not a private one. The private ones go from 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.0.0. Yours is in the public. That could cause issues, but not the sort of issues that you are describing.

On the workstations that can't reach the server, can you verify that they got an address from your server and that their DNS wasn't manually configured to use an external server for DNS? A simple comparison of two workstations using 'ipconfig /all' should reveal what the differences in their configurations are.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Oh yeah, they work fine for most of the day, then just drop off for ~5-10 minutes at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back