Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w2k server as PDC into exisiting Domian NT4 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2000
I have an existing domain with an NT4 PDC and no BDC's
I have a new w2k server for use as terminal server and want to use it as the pdc for existing domain in order to upgrade to active directory.

I have checked to previos threads and found a similar problem, but there the answer appears to say join the nt4 box into the new domain.

I have no option to demote the PDC in server manager why?

Any help please! [sig][/sig]

there is no BDC so you can not demote the pdc
if i where you i reinstal the w2kserver with nt4 make this
server BDC demote your PDC en then upgrade your nt4 server. (PDC the demoted one) to w2k and then upgrade the ather NT4 server to w2k in w2k there is no PDC or BDC only domain controllers with one Primaire the first server you upgrade to w2k i hope this will work for you

You can also just upgrade your current PDC to WIN2000, and thenpromote your WIN2000 Server to PDC status, this is called mixed mode, but microsoft defination, but this is a little risky since you don't have a BDC. i.e if for some unknown reason you uprade fails and you cannot bring your PDC on line you are Doom, hence the reason for a BDC when upgrading to Win2000 , a little fault tolarence.
the off line BDC can be promoted to the PDC.
Hope this help

Thanks for the info, but I have already installed all the applications etc. How about building a new nt4 server then premoting it then upgrading it, then bring the existing w2k server into the new active directory structure, then removing the upgraded box. Will this work do you think? Any problems with the removal of the upgraded box?

Regards

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back