Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Pro Workstation not able to find domain. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SArmyTech

MIS
Sep 26, 2001
US
I have W2K Server as a domain and two workstations with W2K Pro as test machines. After setting up users in Active Directory Users & Computers, I can only log into the domain from one PC. The other gives me "Network path not found" when I try to change from Workgroup to domain login. These names are not the same. Another error is "Your computer could not be joined to the domain because the following error occurred - The network location cannot be reached".

I can log into the domain using both accounts from one PC, so the accounts are there. I can also ping the server and map network drives on the server from the "problem" PC, so I know I have a live network connection, but can't change from workgroup to domain. I am logged in as local administrator. I've compared TCP/IP settings on both PC's and everything looks the same. What am I missing???

Try making the workgroup name the same as the domain name and log into the domain. Also check the identity of the problem computer that it doesn't conflict with the name of the working system.

Set the default gateway to point to the NIC in the server.
If you have the server set for DNS point to it as well for the DNS.
If you are using the server for DHCP you could also set a reservation for the problem pc.

To techshoot, I did re-name the workgroup to be the same as the domain and also re-checked the computer names. Same result, cannot connect to the domain.

To shovel204, I will try pointing to the server NIC. DNS and DHCP are enabled.

Thanks.
Don Staab
The Salvation Army
Correctional Services

IS active directory in Native Mode? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Here is a similar problem, try this:
Looked at DNS on the server. It was not configured properly. The zone name
did not match the DNS name of the server. Deleted the zone and created a new
one that matched the DNS name of the server. Allowed for dynamic updates.
This server was also pointing to ISP for DNS. Changed this to point to inself
for DNS and allowed for dynamic updates. Configured the client to point to the DC for DNS. Was then able to add machine
to the domain.

*** Resolution ***
Configured DNS on the DC. Pointed DC to itself for DNS. Pointed client to DC
for DNS. Client can now be added to domain.

I believe this problem is workstation-related, rather than server or network-related. I can log onto the domain from PC1 with no problems, so the account is setup on the domain correctly. From PC2, I cannot connect to the domain, only to a workgroup. I can, however, ping the server from PC2 as well as map network drives. So in a nutshell, I can log onto all domain accounts from PC1, but none from PC2. PC2 will not allow any domain connections. It does ask for a username and password with permission to log onto the domain when I attempt to change from workgroup to domain. Does this need to be the local admin?? I've tried that, still won't connect. How is this permission set up?

This is getting strange but maybe start from scratch and verify that all the address in the network config except workstation ip (if not using DHCP) are the same between the two workstations. Of course the machine names should be different as well and try setting up the machine name in the server as an account as well. I have seen an error when user manager is started the same time as the system, it will actually act on the network under the machine name instead of the user.

I recently experienced the same problem. The client that was receiving the error message was not configured with the DNS server that was running AD. Once I added the IP address of the DC to the client's TCP/IP config, I had no problems joining the domain.

Try putting the PC back to workgroup. allow reboot then add it back into domain.Before the required reboot go to the identification tab(client for microsoft networks) and change workgroup to the domain name. Then reboot.

It's a happy day...I deleted an unused local profile so that only local administrator was left, added the DNS server IP to TCPIP config, added NetBEUI protocol, and enabled LMHOSTS lookup under the WINS tab. After rebooting, I was finally (!) able to add this PC to the domain. If it was one task or a combination of all of them, it did connect.

Thanks to techshoot, shovel204, Jroenick, butchrecon, and jsarabia for your helpful hints. Also a big thanks to Tek-Tips Forums for this great service!!!

Don Staab
The Salvation Army
Correctional Services

Recently I upgraded a laptop to W2K and then tried to connect to our W2K Domain...this worked perfectly! Now we also have a "sister site" on the exact same domain, they have 3 desktops and 2 Laptop system all configured the same as the problem laptop which all connect perfectly to the domain. When I try logging on with the problem laptop it says something along the lines of...no domain could be found to authenticate your username bla bla bla...(already tried different ports / cables etc...), but when I connect it back on our main site it works perfectly!??!

Now, why can I connect on our main site and yet cannot for the life of me connect to the exact same domain on our remote site? (remember that there are established PC's already connected to the domain)

I've had a similar problem. Very frustrating. I cured it by adding NetBEUI (Providing you have a DC on the remote site, as NetBEUI is not routeable). Can't explain why. I looked everywhere for a solution but to no avail.
I have now removed NetBEUI and all is OK...... Why??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back