Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w2k Pro randomly reboots...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessiem25

Technical User
Feb 18, 2002
US
Hi all,

I'm running w2kpro, w/SP2. AMD Athlon 500, WD80gig, Viper video card, cable modem.

Every now and then (maybe once every week), my computer reboots itself for no apparent reason. I've tried tracking the problem to see when it happens (when one or another application is running), but that has not proven helpful. It has happened when I've been on the internet and running winamp, when just running winamp, when not running anything at all (just desktop, I was gone, then came back and watched it reboot).
None of my apps or programs are having any problems otherwise, and when my computer reboots, it's like nothing happened (it doesn't even go through a scandisk check). I just set the enable APM option so that my computer would power down at shut down, but this has been happening since before then.
Any suggestions? Much appreciated!

Jessica

I've seen this happen before, check your power supply fan to see if it's spinning. If it heats up it will reboot. IF the power supply isn't strong enough that would happen too. I'm working on a Gateway E-4200 with 2000 on it. As soon as 2000 loads the fan stops. I can't figure it out.
You might want to consider SP3, download it off the Microsoft site.

By default Win2k Pro is set to reboot on blue screen. Random reboot generally is the computer blue screening on you. To change this do the follow.. Right Click MY Computer > Properties > Advance Tab > Start Up and Recovery > Deselect Automatically Reboot.

Your computer will now bluescreen instead of rebooting allowing you to get more information on why it is doing this on you.

hth

Had a similar problem with my installation and I deselected auto reboot. I also checked drwatson to see why or what program was involved with the memory dump.
I found various programs seemed involved and since this didn't seem reasonable I removed and added my RAM one module at a time. I had already checked that my fan was running fine. I had already checked memory with simtester too and that program showed no problem.
I found a bad memory module, replaced it and no problem since

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back