Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Pro/Netware client/SQL Server problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondsc

Programmer
Jun 28, 2001
US
Forgive me if I'm on the wrong forum and that I don't have all the information. My client has an issue that seems to involve Netware client on a Windows 2000 Pro machine trying to access MS SQL Server using ODBC. A fresh W2K Pro without Netware client loaded will access the SQL Server properly. After the Netware client is loaded, the machine will no longer access the SQL Server. When I try to create a new DSN file through data sources, I can find the server name but it will not authenticate the login ID. I have tried both Windows NT auth and SQL Server auth using a login ID and password. I cannot get past that point.

I don't know the version of the Netware client or the version of the SQL Server. This is NOT an issue on a Windows XP machine. I have been told that Windows 2000 Pro and Netware client have the latest updates installed.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem? Thanks.

The NetWare client doesn't generally interfere with connections to Windows servers. The processes are independent of each other. However, I could see this type of thing happening if you have Windows and NetWare devices with the same name. This might not just be the server name, but could also be the eDirectory tree name.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

this aint a netware issue

the sql client would use ip through 1433 (i think)
if it's a defauklt instance and you are not using named pipes

the authentication will not involve netware or ms really as i assume from your description it is using sql authentication

crank a filemon running and then check to see waht it is doing. a trace on the sql db will also tell you what is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back