Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K PRO - Kernel Error when installing a modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi_imported

IS-IT--Management
Oct 26, 2000
GB
BLOODY MICROSOFT!!!!! <ahem>

I am having a spot of bother with windows 2000 pro while trying to install an external modem.

On a virgin installation of W2K, if I try to install an external modem the laptop performs a BSOD (STOP error, unexpected_kernel_mode_trap)

The blue screen appears after the com port query when performing an automatic installation, or after selecting a modem type if performing a manual installation.

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated (as if I can't get it to work I might have a problem migrating the other 15 Armada E500 laptops that my company has over to W2K)

COME BACK DOS - all is forgiven ;-)

What type of modem? Check th response I gave here.
thread748-166408 Please provide feedback, good or bad.
And I'm always open to new suggestions or ideas.

Regards

Thanks for your assistance, sadly though it is a different problem (although it has given me food for though as there is an LT Win Modem already installed in the laptop - drivers working + device working) So perhaps it is some kind of conflict?!?

Does the laptop have a LT Win Modem onboard ?
If so, try to disable this modem in the Bios.

It would seem that the user of this particular laptop has been 'fiddling'!!! I have just built an identical laptop (both Armada E500's) with the same standard software on it (office,etc) and it works perfectly - the only difference being that the problem laptop has AOL software installed.

Does anyone know of any problems with AOL 6.0 on W2K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back