Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k Pro has started doing very strange things 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

handlebars

Technical User
Feb 18, 2003
GB
I have put w2k onto an ASRock Mobo running a 1.7Ghz Celeron Processor and 128RAM and all is fine after installation and setup of drivers, service pack etc.

When i installed dvd player my computer has degraded including:

Startup now takes about four minutes (from seeing W2k intro screen), cannot view or open anything within my computer (does not respond or close).

If i unistall dvd player, problem is not solved.

This problem originally occured when installing another audio related application (so i reinstalled the whole thing)

I cannot restore a backup of the registry (it tells me i cannot access the reg.

Any ideas would be welcomed with open arms!

Andrew

By installing DVD player, do you mean you physically put a DVD drive into the system or installed an application?

Sometimes you have to back up, re-image or re-install, and skip the app that caused the problem. This happened to me with a textreader program (for a visually impaired person) - it said it was Win95/98/nt compatible, so I installed it on a Win2K machine, and after that it would try to start Win2K and reboot, it could only be stable in Safe mode. I gave up, re-imaged, and skipped that text reader and used another. That text reader that caused the problem works fine under XP. Some things just don't work in win2K. JAWS was the program that worked fine, TextWiz or something like that was the one that caused the problem.

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

What's in the event viewer?

Did the software come with the DVD player or is it 3rd party?

Do you have an antivirus software running? If not, you can do a free online virus scan:

You can always do a windows 2000 recovery from the CD. You will have to reinstall your programs but you will get system functionality back and preserve your files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back