Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w2k pro and shared folder 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

shargits

MIS
Jun 16, 2003
US
I have a workstation running w2k pro. It has a shared folder c:\File Room on NTFS. The File Room has many subfolders (i.e. c:\File Room\Accounting). The Accounting subfolder also has several subfolders (i.e. \Accounting\2002; \Accounting\2003, etc). Documents such as word, excel, pdf etc are then filed in the 2002 or 2003, etc folder.

C:\File Room\Accounting\2002\tektips.doc (example only)

I don't want my users to be able to add/delete folders from the File Room folder, Accounting and 2002 folders but I want them to be able to write/save files within the 2002 folder level. Can someone please tell me how to setup my permission for this workstation?
thanks

in the share tab you set "full control" for everyone group and then via the security tab can you specify the access every user has, the most restrictieve permissions will apply

Security tab for top level (File Room) - set Everyone to whatever access level you want everyone to have to levels except 2002 level, and in advanced, check box to propagate to child objects. Then set security individually on all folders at the 2002 level - you may need to 'play' with Advanced settings (to get right access levels - some update processes effectively delete/recreate - so try it out).

Thank you for your suggestions. I made a mistake with my example. It should have been:

c:\File Room\accounting\2002\AccountsPayable\tektips.doc

Accounts Payable is an example of many other subfolders under the 2002 folder. I only want my users to be able to be able to save data under the Accounts Payable subfolder level. I tried both suggestions but couldn't get it to work. When I was testing, I (signed on as a reg. user) can browse thru all the levels of the folders but can't save or write under the Accounts Payable subfolder.

any other suggestions? thanks.

So if you give reg. user 'full control' to AccountsPayable, it can't update files in that folder?

PS - I've just been trying my earlier suggestion out - on my machine setting permissions at top level only seems to percolate down one level (eg, to accounting folder in your example). Folders below that retain their previous settings So you might need to apply restrictive (read only) settings at 2002 level too - but can't understand why applying specific 'allow' settings at bottom level is a problem (did you actually apply 'deny settings' - might just need to check all advanced settings).

you have to uncheck ALLOW INHERITABLE PERMISSIONS FROM PARENT... under the security tab. then choose the necessary permissions for the folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back