Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k Partitioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggeroo

Technical User
Apr 5, 2001
DK
Whenever I try to install W2K Pro, I boot from a Win ME disk (i don't have a bootable CD) run Fdisk to make the partitions and start the installation. The installation program now tells me that it "failed to install windoews nt bootloader" and that I should chekc whether drive c: is damaged, which I know it isn't. The only way to get around this is to make c: FAT16, which is rather annoying. Anybody knows how to get around this??

Bugger,
If you pop your Win2K pro disc in, and browse through the directories, you'll find a folder called Makeboot or bootdisk, or something like that. Can't remember off the top of my head. But anyway, run the batch file in that directory, and it will allow you to build the four boot disks you need to install Pro on your machine. The installer will help you arrange your partitions/make them NTFS or whatever else you need to do. Hope that helps.

V

if you intend for win2k to be your only OS on the machine, and you only have one drive (and intend only one partition) you can wipe your partition clean, and boot off the Win2k CD, it'll create the partition for you. Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

Here is the process for creating boot disks for windows 2000.

To create Setup startup disks
Insert a blank, formatted disk into the floppy disk drive, and insert the Windows 2000 Professional CD into the CD-ROM drive.
You need four blank, 1.44 MB formatted 3.5-inch disks. Label them "Setup Disk 1," "Setup Disk 2," and so on.

Click Start, and then click Run.
At the prompt, type the following command, replacing d with the letter of your CD-ROM drive and a with the letter of your floppy disk drive.
d:\bootdisk\Makeboot.exe a:

Follow the instructions that appear.
quadt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back