Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w2k - nt4 trusts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

IS-IT--Management
Aug 31, 2001
GB
Hey all,

Im running w2k ad and one of my satellite offices is still running nt4 in its own domain.

We had a trust setup between the 2 domains and everything was fine - until recently...

The trust stopped working, so myself and a guy in the other office deleted it and attempted to rebuild the it - however, I now get "The **** domain cannot be contacted. If this domain is a Windows domain, the trust cannot be setup until the domain is contacted. Click Cancel and try again later."

Now, I have checked which DC is running PDC emulator, and its the correct one, the LMhost file is correct, the DC can ping their PDC, there is no blocked traffic between the 2 domains and I can create trusts to other domains within the company.

Is it worth transferring the PDC emulator role to another DC? Apparently, nothing has changed on their side, but then again, they would say that...

Thanks in advance,

GB

Have you tried pinging using the fully qualified domain name or netbios name? ( As well as the IP)

yeah tried that and it works ok...

in WINS, I see that their PDC is listed as "other" as well as the usual Workstation, Messenger and File Server. This doesnt appear for the other domain controllers in other domains within the company - could this have something to do with it?

hey all,

figured it out - someone was messing with the LMHOST file - so i rebuilt the LMHOST file and ran a nbtstat -R and nbtstat -c and this corrected the problem.

Thanks for you help!

GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back